AvMC traces its origins back to October 1948 when the chief of ordnance designated Redstone Arsenal as the center for research and development in the field of rockets. A year later, the secretary of the Army approved the transfer of the Ordnance Research and Development Division sub-office at Fort Bliss, Texas, to Redstone Arsenal. Among those transferred were Dr. Wernher von Braun and his team of German scientists and technicians who had come to the United States after World War II. The Von Braun team is most noted for its pioneering efforts in helping the Army at Redstone lay the foundation for U.S. space exploration.
With the transfer of the Von Braun team to NASA in 1960, research and development activities by the Army at Redstone turned to integrating space-age technology into weapons for the Soldier in the field.