Doing Business with Us

Small Business Innovation Research

Through the Small Business Innovation Research program the Army gains access to the technological advances of small, innovative firms with fewer than 500 employees. The Army provides funding, per Public Law 106-554, for high-quality research and development proposals of innovative concepts to solve Army-/DoD-related scientific and engineering problems, especially those concepts that also have a high potential for commercial use.


Research and Technology Applications

The mission of the Research & Technology Applications office is to facilitate access of federally funded research and development efforts by private industry, academia, state and local governments, and non-profit organizations. This is accomplished primarily through marketing, technical outreach, cooperative research and development, and the licensing of intellectual property.

Technology transfer is a process where federal government technologies and products developed are provided to potential users in a manner that encourages and accelerates their commercial applications.



Cooperative Research and Development Agreement

CRADAs are legal instruments sanctioned by the Federal Technology Transfer Act of 1986. These agreements allow federal laboratories and research and development centers to conduct collaborative research and development with non-government organizations. Because the federal government cannot provide funding under these agreements, CRADAs are not subject to federal acquisition regulations and defense acquisition regulations. However, the federal government may provide manpower, facilities, and equipment to the non-government organization. The non-government organization may provide funding, manpower, facilities, and equipment to the federal government under CRADAs.

CRADA Process


Patent License Agreements

Patent license agreements serve as technology transfer vehicles. PLAs license commercial companies to commercially exploit patented government-developed technology. The government retains the rights to use the technology for government purposes. Royalty fees, legal rights, and other terms and conditions on the use of the technology are negotiated by the company and the government laboratory. PLAs can be exclusive, partially exclusive, or non-exclusive.


S&T Test Agreements

Technology transfer legislation allow the U.S. government to make available to any person or entity, at an appropriate fee, the services of any AvMC laboratory, range, or other testing facility for the testing of material, equipment, models, computer software, and other items. Test agreements (also known as test service agreements) are legal instruments that detail the nature of the testing, what facilities, capabilities, and/or equipment are to be used, and the appropriate fee charged by AvMC. These agreements are appropriate when the testing is not part of a joint research effort or AvMC is not interested in the outcome of the testing. Otherwise, a cooperative research and development agreement may be more appropriate.


Educational Partnership Agreements

An educational partnership agreement may be entered into by the AvMC laboratory with a not-for-profit, university, or a local education agency. The EPA is entered into under the authority of Public Law 101-510, Nov. 5, 1990, Section 2194 of Title 10, United States Code, as added by Section 247 of the National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 1991. Under an EPA arrangement, a government laboratory may loan equipment or transfer laboratory equipment determined to be surplus. The goal of an EPA is to encourage and enhance the study of the scientific disciplines at all levels of education.